Five Easy Mason Jar Gift Ideas
November 28, 2017
Gift giving season is upon us and finding the perfect gift for everyone in your life can be tough. Lucky for you, today is National Mason Jar day! Below you can find five easy mason jar gift ideas for everyone on your list, because let’s be realistic who doesn’t love a fun gift that you can also eat?
1. Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- 6 tablespoons powdered creamer
- 6 tablespoons powdered milk
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons milk chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons candy canes, chopped into small pieces
- ½ cup mini marshmallows
- Layer the powdered creamer, powdered milk, powdered sugar and cocoa powder in the bottom of a pint wide-mouth mason jar. Then add the chocolate chips and candy canes and place the mini marshmallows on top to fill the rest of the jar. Add a lid and attach a printable recipe tag (see below).
- When ready to use, remove the marshmallows from the top of the jar and mix the remaining ingredients together. Add ½ cup of the mix to 1 cup of boiling water in a mug and stir until completely combined. Top with marshmallows and enjoy!
2. Caramel Apple In A Jar
- 12 wrapped caramels
- 1/4 cup mini M&M’s
- Small apple
- 1 teaspoon water
- Remove the mini M&M’s from the 8 oz wide mouth mason jar and place them in the lid.
- Unwrap the caramels and place the in the mason jar.
- Add water and microwave for 60 seconds at 50% power.
- Stir and microwave for another 15-30 seconds at 50% power and stir until smooth. Be sure to watch very carefully.
- Insert a lollipop stick into apple,
- Dip apple in the melted caramel using a knife to add caramel to the entire apple.
- Dip and roll the caramel apple into the mini M&M’s.
- Fill in any empty places by adding M&M’s with your fingers.
- Gently press mini M&M’s into the caramel and set it on a piece of parchment paper.
3. Chocolate-Nut Cookies In A Jar
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup candy-coated dark or milk chocolate pieces
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup honey-roasted peanuts or chopped pecans
- Layer in a 1-quart glass jar or a 32-ounce canister or container with a tight-fitting lid the following ingredients, adding each ingredient at a time in this order: flour, baking soda, salt, brown sugar, candy-coated chocolate pieces, coconut, and peanuts. Tap jar gently on the counter to settle each layer before adding the next.
- Give as a gift (or store the layered jar of cookie ingredients at room temperature up to 1 month) and attach a recipe card with the following instructions:
- 1. In a large bowl, beat 1/2 cup butter, softened, with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until smooth. Beat in 1 egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla until combined. Using a wooden spoon, stir in jar contents until combined.
- 2. Drop by 2-tablespoon portions or by using a medium cookie scoop 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Lightly press down to flatten.
- 3. Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheets for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool. Makes 20 cookies.
4. M&M Cookie Mix In A Jar
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 cup M&M’s
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Pour into the bottom of a 1-quart mason jar (I rolled up a paper plate to use as a funnel). Top the flour mixture with M&M’s, dropping them in lightly, so that they don’t sink into the flour. Top the M&M’s with brown sugar, and then granulated sugar (you can use a spoon to carefully scoop the sugars into the jar). Seal with the lid and decorate with ribbon or fabric.
RECIPE TO INCLUDE WITH THE JAR:
- Pour the contents of the jar into a large bowl and stir to combine. Add 1/2 cup of just barely melted (not hot) unsalted butter, 1 beaten egg, and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract. Stir until combined. Chill for 30 minutes. Drop dough by the heaping tablespoon onto lined baking sheets and bake at 350°F for 8-10 minutes, until the centers of the cookies are just barely set.
5. Santa Hat Chex Mix
- 1 bag red melts
- 2/3 bag bugles
- 2 c mini marshmallows
- 1/2 container white nonpareil sprinkles
- 5 c chex
- 1/2 c craisins
- 2 c salted dry roasted peanuts
- 12 oz bag holiday M&Ms
- 12 oz bag white chocolate chips
- 5 c mini pretzels
- Melt the candy melts in the microwave.
- Dip the bugles in, pointed side down and evenly coat the outside.
- Place on wax paper to set.
- When all the bugles are set, dip the open side into the melts and immediately coat with sprinkles.
- Push a mini marshmallow on the tip of each bugle.
- Use a bit of melts to secure it, if needed.
- Place on wax paper to set again.
- In a large bowl, combine the pretzels, chex, peanuts and craisins.
- Melt the white chocolate in the microwave and drizzle over the chex.
- Carefully toss the chex until everything is evenly coated.
- Spread on wax paper to cool.
- When the chex is set, break it up into bite sized pieces.
- Toss in the santa hats and M&Ms.