No gym? No problem with these workout ideas

Most fitness centers are closed or operating on greatly reduced hours and this can make it hard to stay active. Keeping active while your gym is shut down is also a challenge but it is worth it, according to Rachel Woodson, director of employee wellness for Mercer University.

“Exercise is one of the best stress management techniques that people can actually use,” Woodson said. 

While stress is at an all time high exercise can also help with anxiety, sleep, fatigue and depression, she said.

“Even after one workout you’ll have a boost in terms of your overall mood,” Woodson said. 

However, exercising more than once is an even bigger benefit.

“Those benefits are cumulative. So, the more often you exercise regularly then the better you’ll be in terms of your stress management,” Woodson said. 

So how can Mercer students and staff work out while at home? Woodson has some great resources to stay in your “beary” best shape.

1. The Den

Woodson’s department along with Recreation and Wellness has put together workout videos on Mercer’s new COVID-19 student website. In addition, the student group fitness leaders have put together workouts in place of the weekly classes offered on campus.

2. YouTube

YouTube has thousands of free videos. If a student wants a specific type of workout they can find the perfect video. You can even kick it old school with videos from your parent’s and grandparent’s generations. I suggest the original jazzercise videos, or Richard Simmon’s workouts. Your abs will be sore from the laughter. 

3. Fitness Blender

For free workouts for the gym rat or the isolator who’s looking to begin Fitnessblender.com has the perfect video, Woodson said. The website can accommodate anyone looking to workout. There are hundreds of workouts to choose from based on how much time you have, the kind of exercise you want to do and the area of the body you want to work. Many of the workouts don’t require any equipment, making them perfect for exercising at home.

4. Enjoying the outdoors

While we’re supposed to avoid other people and isolate primarily in our homes, we can still enjoy the space around us. Going for a walk, run, or hike outside is a great way to enjoy the outdoors and be healthy, Woodson said. Just make sure to stay at least six feet away from others.

If you have returned to your parent’s you can always dig out your bike, jump rope, or hula hoop. Who knows what childhood toys you can find in your garage. Whatever you find, embrace your former childhood!